North Carolina Department of Transportation - Traffic Counts
City of Charlotte Department of Transportation - Traffic Counts
CRTPO Traffic Data Program
Historically, the Charlotte Regional Transportation Planning Organization (CRTPO) has used Federal Planning (PL) dollars to fund the individual local traffic data collection projects that were requested by member jurisdictions. Beginning in fiscal year (FY) 2016, the CRTPO launched the MPO Traffic Data Program. Each fiscal year, CRTPO will issue a 30-day call for projects to be submitted for the annual Traffic Data Program. This program will provide member jurisdictions with needed traffic data to be used to support transportation planning and research efforts that will advance initiatives and planning projects throughout the MPO planning area.
For FY 2017, an allocation of $100,000 will be applied to projects eligible for PL funds and that meet the criteria specified by the Traffic Data Program. The CRTPO has retained 2 consultants to collect, analyze and process the traffic data and subsequently the data will be provided to the project sponsor. All project data will be delivered as soon as the information is received and processed and the delivery format will be based on the type of data requested. All information will be made available by the end of the fiscal year. The project information may also be made available to the general public at a later date. Due to the federal funding type, a minimum 20% match is mandatory for all project submittals. The available program funds may be insufficient to satisfy all project requests so CRTPO staff reserves the right to allocate funds based on equitable distribution of the available resources. The project selection will be made on a case by case basis and determined at the discretion of CRTPO staff.
Project Submittal Criteria:
• The traffic data will typically involve Comprehensive Transportation Plan (CTP) designated roadways (i.e. Boulevards, Thoroughfares, and even collectors or other types may be collected, etc.)
• The requested traffic data type shall be clearly specified (i.e. turning movement counts, corridor counts, bicycle/pedestrian counts, heavy vehicle counts, etc.)
• The duration of the requested count data shall be specified (i.e. peak hour, school arrival/dismissal, holiday, 16-hour signal warrant, 24-hour, 1 week, etc.)
• A map depicting the requested count locations shall be included as part of the submittal (email all supporting data to email@example.com)
• Requested data should be used in association with transportation planning projects
• A justification/explanation of the intended use of the data will be required for each project submittal. Examples include: Traffic volume data needed for capital project planning, pedestrian counts to assist greenway planning, etc.
• A 20% match will be required
• Project request forms must be submitted by the CRTPO member jurisdiction for each project by the specified due date
Please note the following program guidelines:
o Submitting a proposal does not guarantee that funds will be awarded. All projects will be reviewed before project selection.
o The funds may not be available to provide the total amount of each project request.
o Funds will be provided only to jurisdictions with MPO voting privileges at the time the UPWP is adopted.
o PL funds are federal funds, thus grantees must adhere to federal policies regarding the use of PL funds.
o The project selection will be made on a case by case basis and determined at the discretion of CRTPO staff.